Last Updated Friday, October 22nd 2021
Before you go online or to the stores to embark on your quest for the best double stroller, there are some things you need to know and consider first. There is already posted the double stroller reviews of what’s deemed to be the best twin stroller in the market. Next in line is to know the different types of double strollers.
Know the Types of Strollers
What is Here?
There are actually 6 types of baby strollers that differentiate one from the other. It would be really helpful to know each of them in your selection process. In this way, you can choose which type would work best for your kids, whether they are twins or a few years apart. Narrow down your best double stroller choices so you won’t be so confused with everything that’s available in the market.
Check Your Budget
Once you already know which type of stroller you need for your kids, the next thing to do would be to check your budget. Make sure that the best double stroller models you are eyeing would be in the range of your budget. If it exceeds, cross it off the list, unless of course, you can spare a little extra cash to accommodate it and include in your preliminary choices.
Features of Strollers
Okay, so you now have the type of stroller you need with models that are well within the range of your budget. Next comes choosing the features that fit your lifestyle and the kind of environment you live in. For example, if you have two children, let’s say one is a 2 or 3-year-old and the other still in the infant; you may want to go for the Sit and Stand type of double stroller.
Or let’s say your kids are already toddlers who can both walk well and eat without much fuss, maybe you would find the umbrella stroller fit for their age. Perhaps you’re a serious runner and can’t imagine not having your daily sprint in the afternoon. If such is the case, the double jogging stroller would be most ideal as it allows you to have some quality time for both your kids and your healthy dose of exercise.
Read Reviews about Double Strollers
The last step is to check the double stroller reviews of those that made it in your top list. Once you’ve ticked out all these factors, you’re well on your way to choosing the right kind of double stroller that would work best for you and your kids.
Types of Double Strollers
Well, to give you a head start on your quest to find the best double stroller for your tots, here are the 6 types complete with double stroller reviews according to what it’s best for, pros and cons.
1. Side-by-Side or Twin Strollers
This double stroller comes with two seats positioned side by side with each other with equal arm and legroom.
According to double stroller reviews, it’s ideal for strolling in the park or in a place where there’s lots of scenery. Your kids are facing front so they can see everything that’s happening in their frontal and peripheral vision.
- More storage underneath the seats.
- Both seats can fully recline.
- A better choice for heavy kids.
- No fighting as to who gets to sit in front, both kids can see and interact with each other.
- Hard to push sometimes.
- Difficult to pass through doors and store aisles.
- Both kids may have a tendency to fight with each other.
2. Tandem Strollers
This double stroller has two seats with one placed at the back of the other. Because of its arrangement, it’s only the back seat that can recline fully while the front seat can recline halfway.
Double stroller reviews suggest that it’s ideal if you have an infant child sit at the back while your feisty toddler can sit in front so he can see everything happening and have lesser chances of getting bored.
- Can fit through doors and store aisles easily, kids don’t fight as easily.
- Some seats are multi-positioned so they can be turned for your kids to face each other.
- Some models can hold infant seats.
- There’s a tendency for the difficulty in pushing and maneuvering particularly if you have heavier kids.
- Possibility of hair-pulling if your kids are quite big enough.
- It can also be a challenge when it comes to storing it inside your car trunk.
3. All-Terrain Double Strollers
From the name itself, you’ll know it has something to do with surfaces you tread on. These strollers are designed like a triangle with three wheels, 2 at the back and 1 in front. The front wheel has the ability to swivel for easier navigation among tight or curbed areas and to lock straight for more stability. Note that these strollers though are not meant to be used for intense jogging or running as there’s the double jogger for that.
According to parents’ double stroller reviews, this stroller works well if you’re fond of off-roading excursions, hikes, beaches, and yes, even uneven urban jungle.
- Most of these strollers also come with features that are intended for parents like height adjustable handles, parent trays and cupholders and huge storage baskets.
- Have sturdier aluminum frames and large canopies to protect the baby from all the outdoor trekking you plan to do.
- Most come with fixed sling seats that is not suitable for babies below 6 months old.
- While you do fold, it’s not as compact as you’d want it to be so chances are, you’d still need to take out the front wheel just so it would fit the trunk of a standard-sized car.
4- Sit and Stand Strollers
This stroller accommodates two children with one sitting on the seat of the stroller in front and the other can sit on the rear padded jump seat or stand on the platform.
Double stroller reviews stated that it’s most popular for parents who have kids who are spaced a few years apart. Your younger child can sit in the regular stroller seat. But for your older kid who has discovered the wonders of independence. You can have him step into the rear part to stand, so he can easily get down if he wants to check out something he sees and sit if he gets tired and just wants to take a rest.
- Helps a lot in keeping your toddler occupied.
- It has nearly the same width as a single stroller so it’s easier to maneuver through doors and tight spaces.
- The front seat usually reclines so your younger child or baby can nap comfortably.
- Most models can easily accommodate car seats.
- These strollers are long so this means you need more clearance to turn.
- When the front space is reclined, there’s is less room for the rear seat where your toddler can sit in.
- Most models come with a stationary so you can’t change positions in accordance to the sun’s shade.
5. Umbrella Double Strollers
This type of stroller features an upside-down J-shaped handle that’s similar to that of an umbrella; hence its name.
As per double stroller reviews, this product is ideal for parents who are on-the-go and travel often as its features come in handy when you are gate-checking at the airport or train station. It’s also ideal among older children as it’s quick, light, and easy to use.
- Inexpensive and incredibly lightweight.
- Folds up to a small size and compact.
- Easy to navigate in tight corners or crowded spaces.
- It doesn’t take much room in the car trunk or storage area.
- No large storage area.
- No huge canopies and no trays or cup holders.
- It cannot hold children below 6 months old or those that cannot support their heads and necks yet.
- Not as comfortable or durable as a full stroller.
6. Double Jogging Strollers
Even if you have babies, your love for running doesn’t have to stop, thanks to this stroller. It is equipped with an all-wheel suspension system so your babies can still have a smooth ride even if the terrain you are running on is uneven. It’s actually a bit like the All-Terrain because it comes with three wheels too. But what makes it different are its tires, which are mostly bicycle wheels, and its front wheel which is fixed.
It doesn’t swivel because this is needed for supreme stability when you are running in bumpy areas. Along with these are hand brakes, parent wrist tethers, 5-point safety harness, and other features that make running safely for you and your babies.
Double stroller reviews recommend it as an ideal double jogging stroller for serious runners who are under training or still want to maintain their healthy exercise.
- Gives great stability for running because it’s safe for you and your baby
- Helps to shed off the baby weight.
- More terrain options for running.
- You can actually join running competitions with your baby.
- It comes in an attractive and stylish design.
- Not good for babies that can’t sit up and hold their heads and neck yet.
- They also don’t come with a special infant seat. Can be bulky so this could cause a problem if you have limited space in
- your car and storage. Can be pretty expensive too.
Hope it would be easy for you now to determine which double stroller suits you and your baby.
So you see, it’s not that hard at all to choose which type of double stroller to do go for. You just have to know what to look for and which features are most important to make it easier for you to manage your kids and for them to enjoy their strolling experiences.