Last Updated Wednesday, August 10th 2022
The best rated car seats for toddlers is one of the most important purchases that you will make as a new parent. Given the strong implications for the safety of your baby, it is good to choose the car seat based on quality and regardless of expense. To help you make the best possible decision, we put together new child seats and subject them to practical tests to find the best and safest ones of the year. In our tests, we take into account ease of use, flexibility, baby’s weight and height ranges, safety, car size and pushchair types.
If you want to know which are the models that we recommend among all those examined. one of the best companies of products for children, particularly cared for in terms of safety; Safety 1st Grow and Chicco are the best brands that guarantees the comfort of the little one.
9 Best Rated Car Seats for Toddlers
What is Here?
- 0.1 9 Best Rated Car Seats for Toddlers
- 0.2 1- Safety 1st Grow – High End Car Seat
- 0.3 2- Chicco KeyFit 30 – Best Seat for Baby
- 0.4 3- Maxi-Cosi Mico 30 – Best Lightweight Car Seat for Toddlers
- 0.5 4- Graco SungRide – Best Lightweight Infant Car Seat
- 0.6 5- Graco Contender 65 – Best Convertible Car Seat
- 0.7 6- Britax b-Safe Ultra – Best Car Seat for Premature Baby
- 0.8 7- Primo Viaggio – Best Peg Perego Car Seat without Base
- 0.9 9- Chicco Fit2 – High-Quality Car Seat
- 0.10 Types of Car Seats
- 0.11 Is a Used or New Car Seat Better?
- 0.12 How to Install the Car Seat?
- 0.13 In What Position to Install the Car Seat?
- 0.14 Why Travel in the Opposite Direction?
- 0.15 How to Travel Safely?
- 1 Best Infant Car Seats Buying Guide
Here we present a complete guide, developed with the aim of having all the information necessary to make a good evaluation for the choice and therefore the purchase of the best rated car seats for toddlers.
Also at the end of the guide, you will find a buying guide and answers of your questions. We are sure you will know how to find the child car seat that meets your needs and especially those of your child’s comfort and safety.
1- Safety 1st Grow – High End Car Seat
The safety 1st grow & go car seat is here with the best features at No 1 position. It’s a solid success in practicality, installation, and fit. For the price, it was a little tricky with the Graco Snugride, but there are some great features with the Safety 1st Onboard. The first safety line of “Air” car seats uses the Air Protect side impact protection system, which in practice looks like a swollen airbag along the sides of the head and shoulders. These extremely salient, comfortable and safe cushions surrounding the baby have probably increased Safety 1st sales considerably since they were first introduced.
It has an adaptable design that transforms from a rear-facing car seat to a forward-facing seat and finally to a booster seat. So your child can use it from infancy right through childhood. Grow & Go is fully reclined, the seat takes up a good amount of space front to back.
- The car seat built to GROW for extended use through 3 stages: Rear-facing 5-40 pounds, Forward-facing 22-65 pounds, and Belt-positioning booster 40-100 pounds.
- The 6-position adjustable headrest and the removable harness are the strengths from the point of view of the comfort of the Safety 1st Ever Safe car seat.
- QuickFit™ Harness for easy adjustment of both harness and headrest in one simple step.
- No-rethread harness with 5 height positions and a separate infant position.
- The cover of the Safety 1st Ever Safe car seat is quite easy to remove, without even having to remove the car seat from the car, and is machine washable at 30 degrees centigrade.
title_tag=”H3″ title=”Title Here” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” button_text=”CHECK LATEST PRICE” disable_button=”no” button_link=”https://amzn.to/2VGsuCQ”button_link_target=”_BLANK” button_rel_attr=”nofollow”] [joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Safe and easy with good latch system
- 3 crotch strap positions.
- 2 integrated cup holders
- Washable cover
- Bulky in back seat, especially when reclined
- Frame is not steel reinforced
- The canopy does not provide much coverage
We love it because it has HX GCell honeycomb energy absorbing foam along the sides of the torso. This rearward facing car seat supports children from 1 to 16 kg, with an included baby insert. Further, for very young children it also includes a maternity insert and a super low harness setting.
2- Chicco KeyFit 30 – Best Seat for Baby
Chicco KeyFit comes with a base that attaches to your car using the Latch system or conventional seat belt. We actually found that attaching and detaching this seat from the base was a little easier than most others, making it easy to move around and weighing just 7 kg in total.
Naturally, realize that other heavier car seats are probably such because they have additional safety technology (such as SafeCell technology and the steel reinforced frame in the Britax B-Safe) and could support heavier children up to 16 kg (like the Fit2 ), which makes those seats bigger and heavier out of necessity.
But Chicco spared no safety and convenience here, using premium LATCH connectors, EPS energy absorbing foam and RideRight bubble level gauges to ensure a good installation.
KeyFit 30 is best for children up to about 1 year or 13 kg. So it’s a great seat to use during the first year, which is the time when you want to be able to carry your baby around on the seat
- It is equipped with a reducer cushion , ideal for the first months of life, which ensures the correct posture of the baby and can be used from birth up to 6 kg.
- It has an adjustment system for both the headrest and the seat belts and, with a simple actuation of the control located above the headrest itself, it is possible to raise and lower it.
- To recline the backrest, it is possible to use the adjustment located under the seat, but clearly visible, to offer different travel positions to the child, preventing him from being forced into one position for too long a period.
- Chicco KeyFit shoulder straps are better than many others on this list, mainly because they are a little wider and therefore not prone to twisting.
title_tag=”H3″ title=”Title Here” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” button_text=”CHECK LATEST PRICE” disable_button=”no” button_link=”https://amzn.to/3bC17j0″button_link_target=”_BLANK” button_rel_attr=”nofollow”] [joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Simple to install
- An adjustable headrest
- Comfortable padding
- Convenient to clean
- Canopy is much smaller
- Fabric on interior may not be breathable enough
- Some reports of difficulty tightening the straps
The canopy is much smaller than some others, making it more difficult to completely cover the baby. This is one of the biggest disadvantages of the Chicco, since we tend to use the canopy a lot: for sunny days, for a nap and for rain or snow. You will be fine until you want to cover your baby’s body more from the rain. Overall, this is one of the best baby car seats on the market today and we think there are many fantastic details at a very reasonable price.
3- Maxi-Cosi Mico 30 – Best Lightweight Car Seat for Toddlers
Maxi Cosi constantly improves their car seats and this MaxiCosi Mico Max Plus is no exception. This is truly an adorable baby car seat, with a really soft fabric. Soft fabrics are not only comfortable for the baby, but also for you and it is easy to notice.
This car seat for children supports from 4 to 30 kg in weight, with a maximum height of 32 “. The lower infant insert should be used for children weighing between 4 and 5 kg and can be used with children all the time.
- A great feature of this car seat is that the height range is up to 32 “high, without having the upper weight limit (which in our opinion is usually not as important as the height limit).
- It is also a very light car seat, which reaches about 4.5 kg without the base (the base is 3 kg) and has a detachable canopy.
- The Maxi Cosi Mico Max Plus 30 uses the inflated air side protection cushions, which our reviewers found it very important and made them feel safer.
- It uses a high quality denim-like fabric that is self-cleaning and offers good breath-ability to prevent sweaty back.
title_tag=”H3″ title=”Title Here” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” button_text=”CHECK LATEST PRICE” disable_button=”no” button_link=”https://amzn.to/2VCRGdz”button_link_target=”_BLANK” button_rel_attr=”nofollow”] [joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Canopy covered a good area above the baby
- Light and easy to carry around
- Easy to clean
- No-rethread harness
- Lacks a recline angle indicator on the base
Maxi Cosi car seats are not only fantastic, but they are certainly one of the most welcoming and comfortable car seats on our list. The car seat can be installed with or without the base, that the base itself uses the safety belt locks for safe installation (or premium LATCH connectors), the loading leg is super easy to use and the base has three reclining settings that will aid compatibility with most rear seat slopes. Most of the components seem very solid and well built, with some exceptions that have become minor during use.
4- Graco SungRide – Best Lightweight Infant Car Seat
Being one of the top rated car seats in America for safety and ease of use, the Graco SnugRide Infant Car Seat comes equipped with a 5 point harness, a base that stays in the car for ease of lifting the seat in and out, an ergonomically designed handle for comfortable carrying and a canopy fitted with a small window to enable you to see that your baby is okay.
- There is an all weather boot to give additional warmth in the coolest weather.
- A double sided headrest is fitted to keep your baby’s head from bobbing about with the motion of the car.
- The car seat is filled with energy absorbent foam and for added comfort Gracopedic foam will give your baby an extra sumptuous ride. This means that you and your baby can both enjoy the trip, safe in the knowledge that your baby is well protected.
- The weight of the car seat coming at 12.7 pounds, makes the Graco SnugRide Infant Car Seat somewhat lighter than other similar car seats.
- It is also possible to transfer the seat to other cars without the need to remove the base from your own vehicle. The SnugRide is a rear orientated seat which makes the safety aspect of the SnugRide a very important feature.
title_tag=”H3″ title=”Title Here” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” button_text=”CHECK LATEST PRICE” disable_button=”no” button_link=”https://amzn.to/2VE7w7F”button_link_target=”_BLANK” button_rel_attr=”nofollow”] [joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Lightweight infant car seat for easy carrying.
- Click Connect™ technology provides one-step secure attachment to Graco Click Connect strollers and bases.
- The seat is designed to protect babies rear-facing from 4 – 35 lbs.
- Adjustable base with 6 recline positions lets you customize fit to your vehicle.
- Machine-washable seat cushion.
Carrier may get stuck in base
Canopy cannot easily be used while handle is up
Fabric may not be breathable[/joomdev-wpc-cons][/joomdev-wpc-pros-cons]
There is a reason why the Graco SnugRide child car seat is no. 1 best-selling on the market because you can’t beat Graco SnugRide’s reputation for security. On the other side, the added adaptability of the SnugRide makes this an ideal seat for babies up to the age of 7 months because the seat will also fit into the Graco swing, which has been on sale since its inception in 1955, and the Graco stroller, so you can gently rock your baby to sleep even placing the seat on the floor – lifting the seat in and out of the stroller, is an easy one handed job which is useful for transporting.
5- Graco Contender 65 – Best Convertible Car Seat
The Graco Contender 65 is a convertible baby car seat that will stay with your baby from birth to grade school. Starting as a rear-facing car seat, the seat supports a child in the first year of life. Then, once your child is 40 pounds, you can switch it to its front-facing position to secure your child until he or she weighs 65 pounds. It allows children to enjoy premium features that usually found inexpensive car seats.
The only key problem with most of convertible baby car seats is the lack of convenience. Infant car seats allow you to detach the carrier and attach it to a stroller, but the Graco Contender 65 convertible car seat will stay in your car permanently, meaning that you have to buy a separate travel system for your infant.
- The Contender 65 is suitable for use from 4 lbs, makes it a top notch choice for the ones who have, or who’re expecting, very small toddlers. So it can be used right after birth.
- The Graco Contender 65 comes with an infant insert which assists to provide additional support around the prone parts of your baby’s body and also boosts them up so that they can be seated in a safe and secure manner.
- The seat comes with EPS energy-absorbing foam for enhanced impact energy management.
- Graco boasts that the Contender 65 seat has completed or exceeded all applicable US safety standards during side impact testing.
title_tag=”H3″ title=”Title Here” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” button_text=”CHECK LATEST PRICE” disable_button=”no” button_link=”https://amzn.to/2xTJxbQ”button_link_target=”_BLANK” button_rel_attr=”nofollow”] [joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Convertable car seat.
- It has machine washable seat pads.
- It comes with a standard LATCH installation system.
- The seat includes a cup holder and a no-thread strap harness adjustment.
- It has only 2 stages
- Latches may not tighten all the way
- No recline
If you need a car seat with extremely long life and a lot of bells and whistles, then you have to consider some other. But if you want a basic car seat with real safety for the first couple of years, the Graco Contender 65 Convertible Car Seat is the perfect choice for you. It’s super safe, has 2 easy to use stages, has a great harness adjustment system, and has a couple of perks, like a drink holder and machine-washable padding.
6- Britax b-Safe Ultra – Best Car Seat for Premature Baby
Britax b-Safe car seat is equipped with a seat base which easily connects (and detaches as well) to the car using the Latch system or conventional seat belt. Made right here in the U.S., mothers love the shape and fit of these seats and we have found that one of these models does an excellent job supporting even very small babies (1 kg and more) with the use of the padding insert included. As the baby grows, you can remove the additional body and head padding to give your baby a little more space.
B-Safe is manufactured in the United States by a company with an exceptional reputation for quality and safety, including car seats, convertible car seats, and child seats.
- The car seat also has easy-to-adjust head protection pads, a 15kg weight limit (located at the top end of the range), two crotch strap positions (in Elite and Ultra), multiple shoulder harness strap positions to fit a growing child.
- The Cool Flow fabric is surprising and provides extra ventilation for the warmer months to avoid back pain and discomfort.
- B-Safe canopy is larger than most others and really covers a child during the sun, rain, snow or simply for privacy and during a nap.
title_tag=”H3″ title=”Title Here” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” button_text=”CHECK LATEST PRICE” disable_button=”no” button_link=”https://amzn.to/359ZqXS”button_link_target=”_BLANK” button_rel_attr=”nofollow”] [joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Easy installation
- Adjustable-height harness system
- European-style belt path for installing without the base
- Deep cradle in carrier
- Not comfortable for larger babies in the deep cradle of the carrier
- A harness cannot be adjusted with the baby in the seat
- No cup holder
In our tests, we found that the B-Safe can be a little tight in the shoulder area for older children, especially after they are around 10-12 months old. This is the only real limitation of this Britax car seat, although it won’t affect you if you have a relatively normal-sized child or if you change a convertible car seat anyway between 12-16 months. It is expensive, but we believe that the quality, features and reputation of safety are worth the cost.
7- Primo Viaggio – Best Peg Perego Car Seat without Base
Peg Perego has become a respected brand worldwide for creating safe, durable, reliable, and comfortable baby products. There are several unique features for this Primo Viaggio which make it one of the best child car seats of the year. It includes the adjustable side padding (6 up / down positions) to accommodate your growing baby.
A comfortable handle, lots of padding for small children (up to 4 pounds with an included dual-stage insert and up to 35 pounds). It has a breathable soft and cool jersey cloth, a 5-point harness with adjustable height, a good-sized canopy, and EPS energy-absorbing foam.
- Thanks to the modular system you can fix the seat to the car as you prefer and according to your needs.
- The belts can be adjusted respecting the child’s growth.
- The headrest is adjustable in height, allowing the child to always be comfortable and safe.
- At birth, the babies are very small, but they grow quickly therefore the present reducer will be kept only in the first months of life.
title_tag=”H3″ title=”Title Here” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” button_text=”CHECK LATEST PRICE” disable_button=”no” button_link=”https://amzn.to/3bGLTcF”button_link_target=”_BLANK” button_rel_attr=”nofollow”] [joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Built well and with good materials
- Excellent results in crash tests
- UPF 50+ canopy
- Adaptable to the child
- No steel-reinforced frame
- The bases are to be purchased separately
- Quite expensive
The Peg Perego Primo Viaggio car seat is really well made, excellent materials and good assembly make it light, but at the same time safe and comfortable. Since the car seat, in general, is one of those necessary units, this Peg Perego Primo Viaggio can prove to be an excellent choice. Overall, this is an excellent car seat with some but not too many downsides.
Also Read: Peg Perego Stroller Reviews
8- Peg Perego Viaggio Flex – Best Infant Car Seat for Compact Cars
It is very comfortable and reliable thanks to the “Adjustable Side Impact Protection” system. The seat is equipped with various innovative devices (Blind Lock coupling system, Adjustable Side Impact Protection protection system, reinforced aluminum back, integrated Surefix Base, EPS coating ).
Added to this is the 7-position adjustable headrest, to ensure maximum safety at all times of the child’s growth. It has a large and padded seat with a reduction cushion, safety belts complete with shoulder straps, adjustable and repositionable on the seat thanks to the locking system to facilitate positioning of the child.
- The seat can take 4 distinct positions, guaranteeing the child long comfortable journeys, in complete relaxation, even when sleeping.
- It has a double homologation and offers two ways of fixing it: directly on the car, with the vehicle’s 3-point seat belts.
- It is a car seat characterized by a sober, modern, and robust design. It is easy to assemble and disassemble. Whether you have a sports car or an economy car, it will be perfectly capable of adapting to the interior.
- Its cover is removable and you can wash it in the washing machine. It is available in 4 beautiful neutral colors which are suitable for both boys and girls.
title_tag=”H3″ title=”Title Here” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” button_text=”CHECK LATEST PRICE” disable_button=”no” button_link=”https://amzn.to/2y0Ze0N”button_link_target=”_BLANK” button_rel_attr=”nofollow”] [joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Adjustable seat and headrest
- Surefix attachment system
- Excellent crash test scores
- Excellent value for money
- You will need to check compatibility with your car
- It is not suitable for too young children
The Peg Perego Viaggio 2-3 Flex car seat is an all-made in Italy seat that can be used for a rather long period, as it is approved for group 2/3 (from 15 to 36 kg) following the child’s growth from 3 to 12 years old. When not in use it can be folded back on itself. It favors the maintenance of the fabric over time and allows it to take up little space. It is suitable for all types of cars, thanks to the double homologation it can be fixed both with the car’s 3-point seat belts and with the ISOFIX connectors.
9- Chicco Fit2 – High-Quality Car Seat
This is a newly released Chicco child seat that has passed our practical tests with flying colors. We are excited to have it on our list and we think it is an excellent example of high quality, safe, durable, and versatile car seat. But it’s also quite expensive, so keep that in mind when comparing it to B-Safe.
It has everything you can expect from a high-quality car seat: inserts for lower and upper babies (for children from 4 kg), adjustable shoulder harness and headrest, two buckle positions on the crotch, absorbent EPS foam of energy, protection from side impacts, locks on the base, large and removable roof, bubble level indicators, premium LATCH connectors, removable and washable seat cover, and one-handed adjustments.
- It has two unique rearward facing positions, one relatively reclined for babies up to around 10-12 months of age (basically until they are able to crawl and walk), and a second relatively in a position vertical with a little more legroom.
- Chicco Fit2 has an anti-rebound bar integrated in the base, to reduce rotation forces in the event of an accident.
- It comes with multiple adjustments to the shoulder harness and the horse’s buckle to adapt to growing children and the height of the shoulder strap is adjustable without reprogramming.
- The fabric is durable and offers superior quality and the somewhat larger and higher quality canopy.
title_tag=”H3″ title=”Title Here” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” button_text=”CHECK LATEST PRICE” disable_button=”no” button_link=”https://amzn.to/2S8CMd5″button_link_target=”_BLANK” button_rel_attr=”nofollow”] [joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Easy to install
- Easy to switch from infant to toddler mode on base
- No-rethread harness
- Machine washable fabric
- Not compatible with all Chicco strollers
- Doesn’t allow for extended rear facing beyond 2 years
- Fabric is not dryer friendly
Chicco Fit2 is a great choice for its adjustable features. There’s also the simple installation and added safety features that make this seat kind of like an upgrade to our top-rated Chicco KeyFit 30.
Types of Car Seats
As we have seen, there are different types of car seats. These can be distinguished by type approval groups, age ranges, hooking systems and many other features. How to choose the best car seat for you? Let’s see together how many types of car seats exist!
For Babies and Young Children
Car seats intended for very early childhood are called a baby capsules, precisely because they seem to wrap the child almost completely, forming a kind of protective shell.
They can be used from the earliest infancy up to about 12 months, depending on the indications given and the NHTSA standards. These car seats must always be installed in the opposite direction of travel to guarantee the child a safer position while the car is moving.
Carry coats are generally very robust and really comfortable. Most of the time it is also possible to use them in different ways: as car seats, in fact, but they can also be installed on the frames of pushchairs or they can be used as a walking cradle. They, therefore, allow you to have three products in one, making them more practical and saving you money.
Convertible Car Seat
They are group 0 + / 1 car seats, that is, those that can be used for children from birth up to 18 kg, therefore accompany the child up to 3 or 4 years of life.
When you use them as group 0+ car seats, they must be installed in the opposite direction of travel. After that, usually in a simple and practical way, you can mount them in the direction of travel.
Most of the car seats in this category include a reducer that can be used in the first months of life, up to about 6 kg and is used to adapt the infant’s small body to a car seat which, however, is also designed for children a little. larger.
As belonging to both groups 0+ and 1, whose characteristics, according to the law, are different for the two types, the convertible car seats can also include other types of modifications. Some, for example, have front protection that is removed when moving to group 1. Or they can change the child’s restraint or fixing systems. Furthermore, very often they are designed to follow the child’s growth and have a headrest, side protection, or backrest that can be extended or widened.
Booster and Backsplash Car Seat
Boosters and backsplash for children are suitable for older children, in fact, they include group 1, 2, or 3 car seats and multi-group 1-2-3 car seats. They are designed to adjust the height of the child so that he can use the car seat belts.
These car seats are made to follow the child from 3 years up to 11 or 12. If they are multi-group, their characteristic is that of adapting perfectly to all stages of the child’s growth. They must always be installed in the direction of travel, usually through the isofix coupling system which, however, is not mandatory by law.
All in One Car Seat
Then there are the all-in-one seats, that is, those designed to accompany the child for all stages of growth, from birth to 11 or 12 years. This is the category that I recommend you choose less. Although buying a single car seat that lasts a long time may seem convenient, there are cons that you should consider.
First of all, the car seat, trying to cover an age range as wide as possible, may not be suitable for newborn children or those too old. Secondly, having such a long service life, it will certainly be subject to wear.
This means that it will not be able to last for 12 years under the same conditions in which you bought it. Wear means that the padding flattens, the fabrics are torn and the different functions, systems or mechanisms can be compromised.
Finally, from the tests conducted on these car seats, it was noted that they did not excel in any particular group. Wanting to do everything, in reality, they do very little and when it comes to child safety in the car it is better not to compromise.
The best thing to do, then, if you rightly don’t feel like buying a car seat for each weight range, is to opt for the eggs for the first phase of childhood, up to 13 kg, and for the following ones, rely on the best multi-group car seats. This turns out to be a better alternative than all-in-one car seats.
Is a Used or New Car Seat Better?
There is no doubt that the answer is the new seat. Although thinking about a used car seat could be very tempting for parents, it must be remembered that car seats, as well as all products, are subject to wear.
A used seat, although of quality and of an excellent brand, will always have the most worn padding or coverings of a new one and this compromises the comfort of the child. Even worse if the seat is back from an accident. In this case, even if it belongs to you and is not second-hand, the expert advice is to get rid of it and buy another one.
Many car seats, in fact, are designed to absorb shocks in place of the child. And if the child, fortunately, came out unscathed, it means that that car seat did its job very well, but it could have been seriously compromised.
How to Install the Car Seat?
Do you know what is the safest position in the car? The rear is the safest place for children, especially the center seat. It is followed as the most sheltered position on both rear seats.
The most dangerous position is that of the front right seat. Therefore, the law prevents the use of child restraint systems on the front seat, except in 3 exceptional cases:
- The rear seats are already occupied by children with a seat.
- The manufacturer recommends installing it in the front.
- The vehicle does not have rear seats.
Do not position the seat against the front seat unless the passenger’s airbag has been previously deactivated. If your car does not allow this option, install the seat only in the rear. Opening the airbag can be fatal for the child.
Practical advice for use during the trip: before starting each journey, check that the chair is well anchored and that the buckles and straps are not twisted . The harnesses must have enough space, but not enough to ensure that the child is not properly hooked.
Children under 1.35 m in height must necessarily travel in approved car seats. Any child car seat is safer than carrying children with a seat belt or, even worse, not tied.
No matter how short the journey is, you shouldn’t be traveling with the baby in your arms or sitting on your lap . In the event of an accident, gravity increases up to 20 times the weight of the child and it is impossible to keep it.
Do not allow a child to travel by car without using an appropriate safety system, even if he has tantrums on shorter routes or to take him to school. Statistics show that most childhood injuries occur in short journeys .
In What Position to Install the Car Seat?
The car seat can be mounted in different positions; but which is the optimal one?
The central rear position is undoubtedly the safest, since it ensures that the small passenger is seated at the maximum distance from any possible impact; on the other hand, it must be considered that this position is also the one that involves the greatest difficulties during installation, especially when the seat has a particular shape or dimensions or when a three-point safety belt is missing. Furthermore, when the seat to be mounted is equipped with Isofix hooks, it is necessary to check that the special hooks are also present in the central position.
Alternatively, the seat can be mounted in the rear position on the passenger side. This is not the safest position, since it remains exposed to any side impacts, but it is certainly the favorite of parents since it allows them to control the baby comfortably even while driving.
The rear position on the driver’s side is also a possible option. Just like the rear one on the passenger side, the latter is less secure; this position, however, allows you to get the child in and out of the car on the sidewalk, a feature that on busy roads proves to be really advantageous and convenient.
Finally, the last position in which the seat can be installed is the front one , on the passenger side. However, it should be noted that, among all the positions listed so far, this is the least recommended, since it exposes the child to maximum risk in the event of an impact. In addition, if you want to mount the seat on the front seat, it is essential to make sure that the airbag is deactivated.
Why Travel in the Opposite Direction?
Due to morphology, children should stay on seats against the direction of travel for as long as possible. In fact, their head is heavy, therefore in the event of an accident the neck is heavily stressed, that is, when they exceed the height or weight limits of the seat. The little ones can settle forward in front of a seat with a harness for as long as possible, again until they outgrow the seat limits
How to Travel Safely?
Obviously, even the best car seats for children must be installed correctly in order to protect and keep the child safe. Here are some suggestions for using it in total safety.
First of all, make sure that the car seat is fixed as tightly as possible. Keep in mind that the safest place to place the seat is in the central part of the rear seat.
Then proceed by setting the correct angle. The reclining car seat is designed to position itself at the right angle to prevent the child’s head from leaning forward and potentially blocking the respiratory tract (but it must not be too reclined to represent a risk in the event of an accident). Usually, the correct angle of inclination is between 30 and 45 degrees, but read the instructions to find the right angle for your seat and how to adjust it if necessary.
Best Infant Car Seats Buying Guide
Now read about key features you must need to look at when going to buy best-rated car seats for toddlers.
Make a Careful Assessment
Carefully consider the types of car seats available. Today on the market you can find different types of branded car seats, but the best one for your child will depend on his age, weight, and the type of vehicle you are driving. Don’t just focus on the price in search of the cheapest type: always prefer the best value for money.
Convenient and Comfortable
Especially if you have to travel long distances, make sure your baby can sleep as comfortably as possible. A car seat suitable for long journeys must have a good recline of the backrest, in order to be able to support the child in the right position. Car seats that are not equipped with this feature risk making the baby fall asleep with his head bent downwards or to the side, which could also cause serious problems.
In addition, the lining must be breathable to limit the child’s sweating, especially on hot summer days to prevent redness and irritation.
Ease of Installation
Many car seats can be installed using the normal seat belt , which is an easier way to secure the car seat using integrated anchors and lanyards.
Depending on how often you travel by car with the child, the car seat may end up getting dirty. After all, the child could spend many hours on it eating, drinking, playing and inevitably ending up getting dirty and dirty. Furthermore, almost all children, sooner or later, end up regurgitating due to car sickness, making the situation much worse.
All this should make us understand the importance of having a car seat that can be easily washed.
Many models available on the market have padding that can be easily removed and machine washed. Those who do not allow this operation will be washed with a slightly damp cloth; in this case the presence of water-repellent fabrics that are easy to remove and clean will be positive.
To eliminate crumbs and dust, however, a vacuum cleaner or hand vacuum cleaner will come in handy.
best rated car seats for toddlers are an indispensable accessory from birth. It’s choice is linked to specific safety constraints dictated by the law.
It is not recommended to buy it second-hand, because even if apparently intact, it could be damaged in its structure, proving to be inefficient just in time of need.
Now that you know all about car seats, that you know the best models, the homologation groups, the fixing systems and the legislation in force, you can make a more conscious choice. Choose the car seat based on everything we have told you and ensure your child a comfortable and safe journey, without compromise.